problem with netbios taffic and firewall rules

Ruben de Groot fbsd-q at bzerk.org
Mon May 12 07:39:00 PDT 2003

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 12:18:08PM +0100, abdul typed:
> Hi all,
> I use freeBSD as my proxy and firewall. I started noticing slowness and my
> ISP analysed my traffic and confirmed to me that my uplink (from me to the
> internet) is unusually high and the bulk of it are of "Netbios protocols".
>

> I have tried the following firewall options but no success yet:
> IPDIVERT and  IPFIREWALL options are enabled in my kernel.
> My local and secondary interfaces are xl0 and tl0 respectively.
>
> Option1
>
> Here, firewall_type="open" , then I introduced some rules to block the
> netbios traffic.
> The output of "ipfw l" is ass follows:
>
> 00040 deny udp from any 137 to any
> 00041 deny udp from any 138 to any
> 00042 deny udp from any 139 to any
> 00043 deny tcp from any 137 to any
> 00044 deny tcp from any 138 to any
> 00045 deny tcp from any 139 to any

This will only block responses to netbios-related connections. If you want
to block the netbios connection attempts themselves try this:

00040 deny udp from any to any 137
00040 deny udp from any to any 138
00040 deny udp from any to any 139
00040 deny tcp from any to any 137