Serial Console woes

Malcolm Kay Malcolm.Kay at internode.on.net
Mon May 12 05:18:40 PDT 2003

On Mon, 12 May 2003 10:45, Ryan Merrick wrote:
> Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:
> > On Sun, 11 May 2003, Ryan Merrick wrote:
> >>I am trying to setup a serial console between two freebsd 4.8 boxes.
> >>The cable is known good and has been tested on a master power with
> >>#tip cuaa0b.
> >>

> >> ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty Xwindow"    unknown on insecure
> >
> > You are not seting any speed. Try something like
> >
> > 	ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  on insecure
> >
> > or see the handbook for the above example. On the _OTHER_ machine
> > you sould have a line like
> >
> > 	cuaa0b:dv=/dev/cuaa0:br#9600:pa=none:
> >
> > in your /etc/remote to match the 9600 baud rate.
> >
> > Also Xwindow is a bit of a strange terminal for a serial console. You may
> > want to change that to 'dialup' or something more begin like vt52.
> >
> >>When I try to connect I get a beep and connected message and a new
> >> line but I don't see anything else.  I then ~^D out of tip with a [EOT]
> >> .
> >
> > Make sure you try a few returns
> >
> > Dw
>
> No joy,
>
> I have changed my ttys to:
> ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   xterm   on insecure
>
> #/etc/gettytab describes std.9600 as:
>
> 2|std.9600|9600-baud:\
>
>          :np:sp#9600:
>
> I am using xterm to connect with. Cuaa0c in my /etc/remote is:
> cuaa0c|cua0c:dv=/dev/cuaa0:br#9600:pa=none:

I recall having some difficulty connecting a standard VT200 terminal and after
some exploration getting it working.
In gettytab std.9600 is for a modem including such things as carrier detect.
You need a local setting on ttyd0.
My gettytab has a local.9600 entry which sets clocal and xon/xoff flow control
(which you probably don't want).

You might need to create your own gettytab entry.

Malcolm