C Graphics Tutorial

Joshua Oreman oremanj at webserver.get-linux.org
Sun May 11 14:40:33 PDT 2003

On Sun, May 11, 2003 at 04:00:05PM -0400 or thereabouts, Lowell Gilbert seemed to write:
> "Katinka Mills" <kat-free at kaqelectronics.dyndns.org> writes:
>
> > I have googled, and come up with nout :o( (well lots of broken links)
> >
> > Does anyone know a good source to learn Graphics in C ?
> >
> > I am not after making great 3D Graphics or any stuff like that, just simple
> > graphics like make the screen blue, put a boarder around etc etc.
>
> The C language itself does not support graphics.  What you'll want to
> learn is a particular graphics library (or API, to be more accurate)
> in a specific environment.  On FreeBSD, one such approach would be to
> learn GTK, running on X.

http://alleg.sf.net/
http://libsdl.org/

They're both great gfx libraries. They run in X. They are more intended
for games and other programs that need direct control of the GFX hardware,
rather than for GUIs. For GUI, check out GTK+ for C or Qt for C++.

HTH,
-- Josh