How to make Mozilla display Korean (or CJK-type) characters?

Joe Marcus Clarke marcus at marcuscom.com
Sun May 11 09:48:08 PDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-05-11 at 11:28, Rob Lahaye wrote:
> Bernd Walter wrote:
> > On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 12:00:49PM +0900, Rob Lahaye wrote:
> >
> >>I seem to remember that Mozilla somehow out-of-the-box could display
> >>non-roman charactersets, such as Korean. But Mozilla doesn't seem
> >>to do that anymore. What should I do ?
> >>
> >>I have installed the Korean johabfonts-port, which mentions something
> >>about Mozilla in its pkg-descr file. I installed it and included the
> >>directory in my fonts for X11; to no avail.
> >>
> >>In Mozilla I can select as the character set "Korean(JOHAB)", but when I
> >>check it next time, it is again on "Korean(EUC-KR)".
> >>
> >>Non-roman characters are displayed as squares that seem to have four tiny
> >>roman characters in them.
> >>
> >>Is this a bug in Mozilla, or is my fonts setup buggy, or is this a
> >>more fundamental FreeBSD issue?
> >

> > I had the same problem.
> > Compile the mozilla port with -DWITHOUT_XFT=yes.
>
> Indeed that did it!

Can you give me a site using the characters in question?  I have no
problem displaying non-Roman (Cyrillic in this case) characters, as well
as Japanese Kanji in Mozilla _with_ Xft support enabled.  In fact,
http://www.kr.freebsd.org/ looks fine to me, too with Xft.

With all font issues in Mozilla, you must have fontconfig, freetype2,
and Xft ports up-to-date.  If you add new fonts, make sure you add them
to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts, ~/.fonts, or, if another location, make
sure you add that location to /usr/X11R6/etc/fonts/local.conf per the
instructions at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-fonts.html#ANTIALIAS

Then run fc-cache -f as root.

Joe