your mail

Joshua Oreman oremanj at webserver.get-linux.org
Sat May 10 16:32:14 PDT 2003

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 05:03:51PM -0600 or thereabouts, Fabio Miranda Hamburger seemed to write:
> My system has only a  passwordless root account

That is an EXTREMELY BAD IDEA.
That is an EXTREMELY BAD IDEA.
Get the message?

> and I installed xdm and
> when I tried it the n ext boot, now, i cant log in using xfree86 welcome
> screen , it appers a passwordless account cant log in using xdm, and I
> cant switch to a console or terminal because i seegarbage on screen.
>
> What can i do now to log in my machine?

Reboot, and when you get 'Booting [kernel] in 9 seconds... ', press space.
Type 'boot -s' and press enter.
Now, do:
# fsck -p
# mount -a
# passwd root   # <-- Set a password. Now.
# exit
Then it'll start up and root will have a password, so he can log in.

HTH,
-- Josh