Adaptec SCSI controller problem

Doug Hardie bc979 at lafn.org
Sat May 10 14:47:57 PDT 2003

I have a system with a Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI adapter controller.  The
original configuration had 1 disk internal and nothing external.  The
external connector had nothing plugged into it.  All worked fine.
However, I tried to add a DLT drive to the external connector.  On
boot, the system hung because it couldn't find the disk.  Its supposed
to  boot off the SCSI drive.  Running the adaptec scsi utilities it
found both the internal disk and the external DLT drive.  The disk has
id 0, the DLT 5 and the controller 7.  So, I removed the cable from the
system as I just didn't have time to address that issue at the moment.
However, it still hung at the same point in the boot.  No sequence of
disconnection of cards, disks, connectors etc. would bring back the
boot capability.  It consistently gets an error message that there is
no terminator.  So, I added a terminator on the external jack.  It now
boots properly.  Something has obvioulsy changed but I can't figure out
what it is.  I still need to use the DLT - with the drive, and I need
to return the terminator as its borrowed.  Any ideas on how to make
this work?  Thanks.