upgrading FBSD box: installing the /stand/sysinstall utility

clayton rollins crollins666 at hotmail.com
Fri May 9 23:25:03 PDT 2003

>On Fri, 9 May 2003 11:31:14 Vladik Kozin <epbox at yandex.ru> wrote:
>
>Hi.
>I intend to upgrade my 4.6 FBSD to 4.8 release. In the install.txt they say
>should use the /stand/sysinstall utility of the release I'm going to turn
>to.
>But I couldn't have found any hints on how to switch to this version of
>sysinstall. Is the 'libh-...' package the one to be installed? Do I have to
>remove the currently installed version of sysinstall before switching to a
>newer version of sysinstall.
>To be laconic the question is which steps I need to take to run a newer
>version of /stand/sysinstall on my system?
>
>Best regards.	 Vladik Kozin

Hi Vladik,

First off, may I say, very good english! (I know about four words in
Russian...)

About your question, I'm not sure, but maybe you could just use the
sysinstall invoked by booting from the cd.

As someone who was recently considering the same thing, I'd just like to say
that I took the docs advice to cvsup and buildworld and have been very happy
with the decision. (I cvsup'ed to stable a while back, and haven't had any
problems with stability, etc. And, the whole process took less time than
researching the sysinstall upgrade.) As an advanced warning, upgrading the
source via cvsup doesn't upgrade /usr/ports; you need to run a second cvsup
for that. The handbook has very detailed instructions on this at
http://www.FreeBSD.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cutting-edge.html
.

(A note on cvsup: it's not as hard as the instructions make it seem, you
just simply use it to run the supfile in /usr/share/examples/cvsup, after
editing it for the release you want and the server closest to you. There's a
list of cvs servers at http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/mirrors.html .)

Peace,
Clayton