Simple / Stupid File Permissions Question

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mb.ca
Fri May 9 10:12:15 PDT 2003

On Fri, 9 May 2003 12:39:22 -0400
Paul Lathrop <plathrop at mqtweb.com> wrote:

> I have a simple/stupid question regarding permissions.
>
> What I would like is the following: I have a directory called
> group_dir that I would like all members of a group to be able to work
> in. However, I find that whenever someone creates a file in that
> directory, it is not set group writable. I know the user's umask
> setting affects this, but I don't want to change that - then ALL their
> files would come out group writable. Basically, I want all files in
> group_dir to be readable and writable by group members by default,
> including newly created files. Is there a way to do this? I thought up
> a kludge to use cron to periodically run chmod -R... but that is so
> ugly I don't really want to do it that way.
>
> Thanks for your assistance,
>
> Paul D. Lathrop

Hello,

Not a solution, but a suggesion for a better kludge might be to use
/usr/ports/sysutils/wait_on to watch the directory for changes.

Unfortunately, I don't think wait_on can watch for changes at any depth
in a directory hierarchy, only at the top level.  (I'd love to be proven
wrong, though.)  That limits its usefulness, but if you don't care
about subdirectories, it might be workable.

-Chris