news server recommends

William Palfreman william at palfreman.com
Fri May 9 07:43:21 PDT 2003

On Fri, 9 May 2003, Rob O'Donnell wrote:

> I have a requirement to set up a nntp server.  Partially as a local
> cache, to provide as huge a retention time as I can afford disc space
> for, but also to give out external access to.
>
> requirements are basically... ability to fetch via NNTP from several
> configured news servers (ie, not using a push feed) automatically
> fetch groups that are used; ignore groups that are not accessed. (this
> all to reduce bandwidth requirements!) have script-configurable user
> accounts with arbitrary monthly download limits. be secure enough to
> open a port through the firewall to it from the Internet

Sounds like Leafnode to me.  The only problem I've had with it in the
past is that it is not particularly fun to do random Usenet browsing
via, as you have to wait until it starts caching the group you want to
randomly browse.  Otherwise, it's great, and it's open source.

Bill.

--
W. Palfreman. 			I'm looking for a job. Read my CV at:
Tel: 0771 355 0354		www.palfreman.com/william/cv-wfp2.html