crontab question

Paul Everlund tdv94ped at cs.umu.se
Fri May 9 06:24:40 PDT 2003

crnholio wrote:
> hi list,
>
> i have a simple question concerning crontab. i would like to execute
 > a program every day at 0:45 o'clock and kill it at 6:00. this is the
 > entry i made in /etc/crontab:
>
> 45      0      *       *       *       crnholio    program
> 0       6       *       *       *       crnholio    killall -9 program
>
> well, it doesn't work and i guess i haven't understood how to enter
 > the exact time into the file. could somebody please enlighten me? :)
>
> thanks in advance,
> crnholio

Hi!

You should not put entries in /etc/crontab. Instead use 'crontab -l'
to list your crontab entries. If logged in as root, it will show
root's entries. If logged in as crnholio, it will show crnholio's en-
tries.

Using 'crontab -e' you can edit your own entries with an editor. Use
'setenv EDITOR "your favourite editor"' to change from vi to "your
favourite editor".

Put the following in your crontab:
45   0   *   *   *   program
0    6   *   *   *   killall -9 program

I'm not sure this will help, but it's the correct way to do it. :-)

Best regards,
Paul