checkout doc from /home/ncvs

manee radwasteus at yahoo.com
Fri May 9 00:30:13 PDT 2003

hi sirs,

--- Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr>
wrote:
> On 2003-05-07 21:02, radwasteus at yahoo.com wrote:
> >--- Giorgos Keramidas <keramida at ceid.upatras.gr>
> wrote:
> away.

> FORMAT="html"
> DTD did not contain element declaration for document
> type name
> >>
> >> It seems you're missing some of the environment
> vars
> >> mentioned in the
> >> "FreeBSD Doc. Project Primer for New
> Contributors".
> >
> > well, am reading it and do setting some env. vars.
> but
> > as a plain user.
>
> That's fine.  You don't need to be root to build or
> install the docs.
>
> > that plain user can su to root.
> >
> >> What is the output
> >> of the following command?
> >>
> >> 	$ env | grep SGML
> >
> > arg ya, as you expect it gives nothing for the
> root
> > user but give the same result as FDP suggested.
>
> Do you mean you are building the documentation as
> root?  (When
> describing what you are doing, the reader shouldn't
> have to guess what
> you did.  Always remember to provide ALL the
> details.)

yes, but i am suing from a plain user.

> If this is the case, bear in mind that after you run
> su your old
> environment goes away, unless you use the -m option.
>
> > do we need to run this particular make as root ?
>
> No.  Not necessarily.  You'll have to use su to
> become root only if you
> want to install the docs in `/usr/share/doc'.  If
> you do use su, then
> please make sure your environment contains the
> proper SGML_xxx
> variables, either by manually setting them, or by
> using the -m option of
> su(1).

this is really new to me.  i suppose that as a plain
user i can checkou from a repository but i get a
permission denied instead.

once i su to root, i can checkout but get errors when
make as you see in my previous attachment.

your answer make me thinking about being root directly
instead of by su.

that is very strange, when i log in as root and follow
your example commands, i can checkout and make with
clean output.

i said strange since root does not have environment
variables of those SGML_... setting.

> - Giorgos
>

> PS: Your mailer claims that the message is encoded
> in US-ASCII, but your
> From: lines contain some unreadable parts.  Try to
> configure your mailer
> to use the proper encoding for all the stuff it puts
> in mail headers, or
> disable 8-bit characters in mail headers.  If this
> isn't possible,
> perhaps there is a way to spell your name using
> US-ASCII characters
> only (at least in mail headers)?

thanks for your comment.  i have changed from local
language to english now.

and once more time, i appreciate your helps and hints
and i have to review your e-mail serveral times in
order to understand cvsup and cvs.

with best regards,

=====
ÁÒ¹Õ