what is /var/empty

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu May 8 09:39:53 PDT 2003

Gavin Kenny wrote:
[ ... ]
> 1) I usually put var in /usr/var and softlink it. only
> I can't delete the original /var as there is a
> directory called empty in it, even as root I can't
> change it's permissions or delete it. What is this
> empty directory?!?!

It's used as a unwritable chroot() environment for daemons like ssh when
they are doing privsep.  Try "chflags noschg /var/empty" to make it
deletable.

Note that there are some good reasons to want to have /var on a seperate
partition; you might try doing that (by preference), or else simply
create one big root partition and not bother to move and symlink things
around.

> 2)my xe (Xircom pccard) network adapter is no longer
> recognised, it was in 4.4 and it is compiled in the
> GENERIC driver, what gives?

Take a look at /etc/defaults/pccard.conf, and the pccardd manpage.

-Chuck