/usr/local/bin and so forth

collins erichey2 at attbi.com
Thu May 8 04:45:44 PDT 2003

Coming from a linux background (gentoo distro), I find it strange to
find all sorts of crap in /usr/local/bin.  I'm used to find all standard
software in /usr/bin (or certain binary packages in /opt) and to find
/usr/local/bin reserved for stuff added by the local administrator.

1. What's the rationale behind this for freebsd?
2. Where does one (as a standard) put truly local scripts, etc. so it
won't get confused with all the stuff in /usr/local/bin?

Thanks,
--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
FreeBSD 5.0