AFS Server and Client

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Wed May 7 13:55:38 PDT 2003

At 7:50 PM -0700 5/6/03, Jason C. Wells wrote:
>What is the status of the AFS server and client for FreeBSD?
>I'd reaaaaally like to get rid of my Redhat box.
>
>I see that arla is broken and has been for some time.  The
>traffic on the openafs.org list is low and the freebsd.org
>archive is empty.  Is AFS something that garners little
>interest in FreeBSD circles?

There are some of us who are definitely interested in it,
although many of us don't have the spare time to "make it
happen".

The freebsd-afs mailing list is pretty much dormant.  That was
setup before openafs happened, iirc, and once openafs got going
all the discussion (that I've seen) has been on openafs lists.

The bsd-related traffic at openafs is sometimes on the main
development lists, and not in the bsd-specific mailing lists.
There has been some recent activity on getting openafs running
on freebsd-current.  In fact, I think that if you get the
source out of the CVS repository, the openafs client should be
pretty close to working on freebsd-current.

I am told the openafs-server will already run on freebsd, but I
have not tried it myself.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu