Why is port 22 open by default? (fwd)

Sondre Rønjom s1465 at lstud.ii.uib.no
Wed May 7 13:20:47 PDT 2003

On Wed, 7 May 2003, Daniela wrote:

> I was just wondering:
> Is SSH really so secure that it can be on by default?
>
> I'm really paranoid, and I could sleep better if the answer was yes :-)
>
> Regards,
> Daniela

Well, I guess that pretty much depends on how you define "so secure". If
that means 100% secure, then you have a problem. Defining how difficult it
is to break SSH also depends largly on you knowledge of
computer networking, especially cryptography and how SSH is implemented in
FreeBSD. I guess you should do a google search for all of this(Bruce
Schneier has a relatively good book on Cryptography and Hill on Coding
Theory) but for remote control of your computer I would prefer keeping
port 22 and SSH because it is relatively secure in the end.

/sondre