Ports - Makefile - COMMENT= variable

Thomas Dwyer tom at dwyers.ca
Wed May 7 12:15:39 PDT 2003

I recently upgraded to FreeBSD 4.8 from 4.6 using cvsup to update src-all and the ports tree.

I did the usual:
make buildworld
make buildkernel
make installkernel
make installworld
mergemaster

I tried to install a couple of ports and I am receiving this error when I do the make install:

pkg_create: only one package name allowed ('interface' extraneous)

the 'interface' is defferent depending on what port, and is the 3rd word on the COMMENT= line of the Makefile.

If I remove the COMMENT= line and place the text in a pkg-comment file, the installation works fine.

I'm not sure if this is related to upgrading to 4.8, or the updated ports tree.  I had installed several ports when it was FreeBSD 4.6, without any problems, but I'm not sure if they utilized the COMMENT= or the pkg-comment method.

Thanks
Tom