Realtime Filesystem Replication

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mb.ca
Wed May 7 11:01:36 PDT 2003

On Wed, 7 May 2003 13:34:47 -0400
Charles Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, May 6, 2003, at 03:22 PM, YOU wrote:
> > Thanks so far to the suggestions including rsync and unison. Both
> > appear
> > to be triggered upon a command line or user typed command. Is
> > someone using a system that tracks the mtimes for files and updates
> > without prompt?
>
> Sure.  Whatever causes updates has to keep track and push out it's
> changes t the things which might be interested.  Take a look at the
> way funnel newsfeeds work under INN.
>
> -Chuck

But is there a way to do this without being the thing that causes the
updates?  For example it might be 'cat > foo.txt' that causes the
update.  Without rewriting 'cat' and essentially every other program, of
course - I gather the only way to do this would be at the filesystem
level.

Or, to reduce this to the specific circumstance I'm curious about:

Is there a way to be notified of, and/or log, in real-time, all changes
to a filesystem?

On other operating systems I've seen programs that 'hook into'
filesystem calls for opening, creating, deleting &c files, and display
them in a window as they happen.  Is this sort of thing feasible in
FreeBSD?

-Chris