My Questions about FreeBSD

doug doug at fledge.watson.org
Tue May 6 10:57:16 PDT 2003

The booting information is exactly correct. The only thing I have to add
is that at least some versions of windows 2k rewrite the master boot
record. So partition the disk install win2k and then FreeBSD. I think
there are other issues with win XP.

>From memory I believe that fdisk /mbr will rewrite the MBR. The last time
I did this I just did windows first and FreeBSD second. If you already
have windows installed and can compress your disk, there is a utility to
lop off some of the partition. I believe this only works on FAT systems.

By far the easiest way to install a GUI the first time is to make or get a
distribution CD and install from the sysinstall options. As you get more
familiar with the build process and FreeBSD's package system that is
equally easy and you can decide which method best suits your needs.