FreeBSD on an old Compaq

Doug Poland doug at polands.org
Tue May 6 10:45:43 PDT 2003

Charley said:
> I recently won a Compaq ProLiant 5000R in an auction on Ebay.  It
> arrived yesterday and now I want to put FreeBSD on it.
Unfortunately, > I can't seem to find a way to cause the system to
boot from the CD and
> booting from the floppy returns an "Unexpected EOF" on the kernel
> (kern.flp).  Is there something else that I need?

Check the BIOS for boot order or boot sequence and see if a CDROM
device is in the list.  If it is, make it the first boot device and
re-try.

As for the floppy, I've seen the "Unexpected EOF" error because of
old or bad floppy media.  Try brand-new floppy disks.

--
Regards,
Doug