X Window problem

Eduardo Viruena Silva mrspock at esfm.ipn.mx
Tue May 6 01:57:55 PDT 2003

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Gary and El Byrnes wrote:

> Hi Everybody
>
> I am new to FreeBSD. Just intalled v 5.0.
>
> I went into /etc/ttys and changed "xterm on secure" to have graphics and
> having a problem after that. The GUI wouldn't come up. The screen keeps
> coming to a dark blue with a mouse cursor cross on it then disappears.
> How can I fix this please?

1) go single user:

reboot your computer [if it is still on, press ctrl-alt-del]
when freebsd boots a countdown starts from 9 to 0, before it
reaches 0, press "space"

type:
	boot -s

your computer will boot but it will stop asking for a shell
and suggesting:  /bin/sh       [press enter].
type
	mount -a
	swapon -a

2) fix the problem:

now, edit /etc/ttys and restore "off" in the line containing xterm.
save this file
reboot your computer by typing:  reboot
or press control-d.

you must be sure that you have correctly configuring X before
changing the line containing "xterm" in /etc/ttys.

3) configure X

To configure X you can try:

		X -configure

it will try to find out which your graphic environtment could be,
and will write a file:  XF86Config.new  with the resulting configuration.

Try:
	X -xf86config ./XF86Config.new

to test your configuration and, if it fits to your graphical environment,
you will see a gray screen and you will be able to move your mouse cursor.
Press Ctrl-Alt-BACKSPACE to leave this graphic screen and copy this file
to /etc/X11/ directory with the name XF86Config:

	cp ./XF86Config.new /etc/X11/XF86Config

if the configuration you get does not fit to your graphical environment,
try to find out what graphic card, monitor, mouse, keybard you have and
try
	xf86cfg -textmode

4) xdm

Once you have a functional configuration for your graphical environment,
then and only then you can change the line you changed.