portupgrade: installed package "succeeds port" ?

Rob Lahaye lahaye at users.sourceforge.net
Mon May 5 20:08:42 PDT 2003

Jim Trigg wrote:

> Actually, I've found that "cd /usr/ports; make index" is more reliable
> than "portsdb -U".

Are you sure? "make index" runs for ever here!
On a 700 MHz Pentium III PC, it's already running for over an hour,
without any indication of doing something useful. The /usr/ports/INDEX
file has still size 0.

portsdb -U also lasts for a long while, but at least finishes at some
point :).

Or have I broken anything in the ports administration?
But what else is there than the INDEX file?

Thanks,
Rob.