portupgrade: installed package "succeeds port" ?

Adam blueeskimo at gmx.net
Mon May 5 19:04:11 PDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 19:26, Rob Lahaye wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have started using portupgrade package recently and it is indeed
> a wonderful package compared to so basic ports handling by standard
> FreeBSD software, that I wonder why portupgrade is not by default part
> of the basic FreeBSD OS.

Well, if you install portupgrade from the ports (using 'make install
clean'), it is added to the package database. This way, you can later
upgrade your portupgrade using 'portupgrade portupgrade', just like any
other package. You'll notice that portupgrade is updated every month or
so.

> Anyway, when I install from ports with portupgrade, I get packages
> listed as follows:
>
> mplayer-gtk-0.90.0.110_1    >  succeeds port (port has 0.90.0.110)
> portupgrade-20030427        >  succeeds port (port has 20030308_2)
> ruby-1.6.8.2003.04.19       >  succeeds port (port has 1.6.8.2003.01.19)
> ruby-bdb1-0.1.9             >  succeeds port (port has 0.1.8)
> ruby-shim-ruby18-1.8.0.p2.2003.04.19  >  succeeds port (port has 1.8.0.p2)

> I'm sure I am in sync with the port, neverless it says that my installed
> packages succeeds the port. Is that a bug in portupgrade package?

Perhaps you have multiple installations of these 4 packages. If that was
that case, at least one of them IS probably the latest, but there are
lingering old versions that pkg_version thinks is outdated. You should
run "pkgdb -F" as root to fix and problems of this nature.

--
Adam <blueeskimo at gmx.net>