checkout doc from /home/ncvs

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Mon May 5 18:14:45 PDT 2003

On 2003-05-05 17:37, radwasteus at yahoo.com wrote:

> i have just finished cvsup -g -L 2 cvs-supfile into /home/ncvs.  it
> really took very long time.  here is my cvs-supfile
> [...snip supfile...]

A brave soul you are :)

> i put CVSROOT environment variable to /home/ncvs then i did a cvs
> checkout doc at /usr.  i got so many files in /usr/doc and
> /usr/share/doc.
>
> once i did make at /usr/doc, i got errors that said
> share/mk/doc.docbook.mk/Makefile line number 2,4,6 contain or need
> operators.  actually those lines begin with <<<<, ====, and <<<<
> respectively.

These are "conflicts".  Places where your local docs contained changes
that CVS can't merge with the state of the files in the repository.
Putting this aside for a while, you don't have to use /usr/doc for
checking out a doc/ tree and working with it.

> my question is that what is the right way to checkout doc, or other
> like ports and src, from CVSROOT ?

I usually use something like this (to check out a copy of the English
docs only):

	$ cd /tmp
	$ mkdir giorgos
	$ cd giorgos

	$ export CVSROOT=/home/ncvs
	$ cvs checkout doc/README doc/Makefile \
		doc/share doc/en_US.ISO8859-1
	$ cd doc
	$ cvs -qR update -APd * && cvs -qR update -APd *

The final two 'cvs update' commands are to make sure I don't have any
stale files in my doc/ tree.  The second one should (if all things have
worked fine) produce NO output at all.

After this is done, the following should work without problems[1]:

	$ cd /tmp/giorgos/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1
	$ make FORMATS="html"

[1] Provided you have taken care of installing the textproc/docproj port
already; obviously.

- Giorgos