Incorrect super block on a disk

Joshua Oreman oremanj at webserver.get-linux.org
Mon May 5 16:11:46 PDT 2003

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 02:04:35PM -0700 or thereabouts, Paul English seemed to write:

> On Sun, 4 May 2003, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>
> > > it tries for an alternate superblock, fails and then I try doing
> > > fsck -b 32 (as recommended in the manpages) and I get the same error.
> > >
> > > Is there anything I'm doing wrong or something else to try?
> >
> > It seems pretty certain that whatever they sent back from the data
> > recovery house is not a UFS file system.  You should try to find out
> > how they got the data there.  I can't imagine them creating a new file
> > system.  Until you know that, there's not much point trying
> > alternatives, though some of them exist.
>
> I will check with them - it looks like they don't have someone I can talk
> to on Saturday. I believe though that they just did a bit-for-bit or
> byte-for-byte copy. The partition table information is still there - the
> output of disklabel shows what appears to me to be a valid disk label for
> all of the partitions, this one included.

file -s is your friend. Try:
# file -s /dev/da0s1
where da0s1 is the partition on the recovered disk. It should tell you
what type FS it is.

This is an extremely useful feature that very few people actually know
about.