Cable Internet Setup

collins erichey2 at attbi.com
Mon May 5 04:59:13 PDT 2003

On Mon, 5 May 2003 00:57:25 -0400
"Bluesman" <bluesman323 at attbi.com> wrote:

> Hi any help greatly appreciated-
>
> I have never setup an internet connection with a cable modem and
> router with freeBSD. I was wondering if maybe there was a skinny on it
> that would help. The computer is seeing the network card as dc0. It
> reports the ipaddress of the machine and the router. I can ping other
> computers on the network, but when it comes to remote I can not. I
> looked at some reference and it kind of led me to believe that I would
> have to custom configure a kernel, which is no problem but want to
> make sure there is not some easy network package that would eleviate
> the problem. The isp I use which is comcast uses DHCP. I know I have a
> hunch I am forgetting something simple. Again any help would be
> greatly appreciatted. Sorry about the newbie question.

I would just run /stand/sysinstall as root and go to the section that
does communications setup and select the DHCP option.  I did that during
the iso install, and my cable router/modem (actually only the router is
seen by the system) was detected and setup with no problems.

--
Collins Richey - Denver Area
FreeBSD 5.0