How to type special characters?

How Can ThisBe howcanthisbe300 at hotmail.com
Sun May 4 11:36:26 PDT 2003

I am able to type non-standard characters like the euro symbol (€) by
holding down the ALT key and typing the relevent number (ie, 0128 for
the euro) on the keypad. My problem is I do not have a keypad on my
laptop and was wondering if there was an 'easy to use' alternative.

My only solution so far is to copy and paste the symbol from a list.
While this is a good option it would be better if I could just type
something.