AC97 Light sound distortion in xmms

Colin Alston karnaugh at karnaugh.za.net
Sat May 3 10:03:54 PDT 2003

Hi

I'm getting sound distortion (sound is tinny and mildly distorted) in xmms
using the oss output.

Its not my hardware (gigabyte onboard 2 channel AC97) because Linux and
Windows XP sound fine (Linux is also fine with XMMS).

I recompiled my kernel with 'device pcm' (I also weeded out tons of things
like SCSI support if that could be the problem)

I did find some 2 year old reports of this but honestly I havent a clue what
to do to fix this...

mplayer in FreeBSD also seems to have this distortion

Running 5.0-RELEASE-i386.

Thanks
Colin Alston