Sendmail & Valid users

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri May 2 12:21:39 PDT 2003

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 11:55:34AM -0700, Mike Hogsett wrote:

> I have a question regarding sendmail and this list may be able to point me
> in the right direction.
>
> What I want is to be able to verify the address in the "MAIL FROM:" during
> the SMTP transaction for domains that this sendmail is responsible for.
>
> If they are claiming to be within our domain(s) then the address in "MAIL
> FROM:" should be a valid recipient.

The standard mechanism use to control this sort of thing is the access
DB (/etc/mail/access) -- take a look at

    http://www.sendmail.org/tips/relaying.html

for a good introduction.  There's more that can go into the access
database than is discussed in that page: the canonical reference is
the /usr/share/sendmail/cf/README file.

Now, the access db is usually keyed off the domainname part of an
address: you can do some filtering on whole addresses but it isn't
really a general solution.  If you need finer grained control than the
access DB can give you, you should look into using the sendmail AUTH
mechanism:

    http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/auth.html

or even the STARTTLS support:

    http://www.sendmail.org/~ca/email/starttls.html