syslogd facility

Antoine Jacoutot ajacoutot at lphp.org
Fri May 2 05:05:06 PDT 2003

Hi !

I am trying to log the accesses to my webmail system.
It works nice except that I get logs twice: ionce in /var/log/horde.log, which
is OK and one in /var/log/messages which I don't want.

My syslog.conf contains this lines:

*.notice;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err /var/log/messages
[...]
!HORDE
*.*	/var/log/horde.log

So I though I wouls tweak the line concerning /var/log/messages, which I did:
*.notice;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err;HORDE.none /var/log/messages

From now, it does not log to /var/log/messages anymore, but when I kill -HUP
syslogd, I get this message:
syslogd: unknown facility name "HORDE"

... well, indeed, syslogd is right.

So does anyone know how I could do what I want ?
Meaning logging accesses to my webmail --> /var/log/horde.log only

Thanks in advance?

Antoine