ipfw output cannot be redirected when run in crontab (!)

Josh Brooks user at mail.econolodgetulsa.com
Fri May 2 00:45:12 PDT 2003

I am having a very bizarre problem.

I have a script that does this:

ipfw show >> /some/file

Easy.  I run this as root to test it, and it works.  Every time I run it,
the previous iteration of it overwrites /some/file with the new `ipfw
show`.

But when I put that command in a script and run it out of cron, not only
does the output not get redirected into the file, but further, nothing
gets sent to the file.

I can even do things like this:

echo $date >> /some/file
ipfw show >> /some/file
echo $date /some/file

and put that script in cron - if i watch the file, it gets updated every
time with the new dates, but there is nothing between them - the ipfw show
output is just not getting there (!)

I thought maybe it was a problem with the ipfw show output, but it works
when I run it myself, so the script is sane ...

Is there some reason that you can't run `ipfw show` inside of cron ?

Thanks!