wierd problem involving the command make install

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Thu May 1 22:31:18 PDT 2003

On Sat, May 03, 2003 at 12:39:58AM -0500, Vulpes Velox wrote:

> In the last few days when I use the command 'make install' I get the
> following error message...
>
> ad1: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
> ata0: resetting devices .. ad0: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 cable or device
> done
>

> ...the drive appears to be working fine and I have managed to cat
> and cp large chunks of both file systems with out problems. The only
thing I have managed to come up with is a possible virus or something
is major misconfigured. Any one have any ideas one this.

The drive is timing out in response to a read command.  It's most
likely to either be marginal hardware or a low-quality IDE controller.
If it really bothers you, try replacing the hardware.

Kris

P.S. Please line-wrap your posts at 70 characters so they can be easily read.