Problem with networking?

gcn53 at vfemail.net gcn53 at vfemail.net
Thu May 1 15:30:55 PDT 2003

Quoting Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com>:

> gcn53 at vfemail.net wrote:
> > Quoting Bill Moran <wmoran at potentialtech.com>:
> >
> >>I can think of a very limited number of cases where the primary IP on
> >>an ethernet card should have the netmask you have.  Verify it.
> >>

> > Sorry, forgive my ignorance, but how do I "verify it"?
>
> I missed the earlier part of the thread, so ...
>
> If you were given the information by your hosting provider, verify that
> it's correct compared to what you have in /etc/rc.conf

My hosting provider did not give me this information.

> Where did you get your IP addy?  You should have been provided a netmask
> in the same document/conversation/whatever.

The IP address was given to me by the host provider, after the virtual server
had been set up.

> Also, based on some other replies to this thread, could you post your
> /etc/rc.conf to the list.  It may help sort out what's up.

# cat < /etc/rc.conf
portmap_enable="NO"
sshd_enable="YES"
network_interfaces=""
# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Fri Apr  4 14:55:26 2003
named_enable="NO"
hostname="graygold"

> Another thing you can do is simply change it to 255.255.255.0 and see if
> things start to work.  It's possible that that number is wrong, but it
> will break _less_ networking than using 255.255.255.255, so you'll be
> able to tell if you're on the right track or not:
>
> ifconfig fxp0 netmask 255.255.255.0
# ifconfig fxp0 netmask 255.255.255.0
ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): permission denied

Cheers
Graeme