On-Demand Icecast streaming

Dan Pelleg daniel+bsd at pelleg.org
Thu May 1 04:13:27 PDT 2003

H.Wade Minter <minter at lunenburg.org> writes:

> I'm trying to set up something for a client on our FreeBSD 4.8 machines, and
> am stumped as to how to get it to work.  Hopefully someone here will have an
> idea.
>

> The client has a bunch of audio recaps in MP3 format.  They want someone to
> be able to come to their website, click on a link, and have one of those
> recaps streamed to them.  This should be possible for an arbitrary number of
> people, each listening to the same or different streams.
>

> I've grabbed icecast and shout from the ports tree, but can't wrap my brain
> around how I'd implement the on-demand streaming.  Most documentation I've
> seen is written around web radio streaming, where you have a fixed playlist
> and an arbitrary number of clients listening to the same thing, which
> doesn't fit what I need.
>

> Anyone have any hints?
>
> --Wade

Try gnump3d. It's not so good with access control, but if you're assuming
non-hostile visitors it should be ok. In particular, the security model is
weak, and it's hard to cap the number of simultaneous connections. Nothing
some wrappers can't fix.

There's also ample. It's very simple. It doesn't do on-the-fly recoding,
and in my experience somewhat flaky. But it may very well do the job for
you.

And in theory, there's also mod_mp3 for apache. But I couldn't get the port
to compile.

--

  Dan Pelleg