4.7-REL and the AM79C978C PCNet-Home HNPA/10Base-T adapter

J. Seth Henry jshamlet at comcast.net
Sun Mar 30 13:04:23 PST 2003

I think this came up a while back, and no one had any clues, but this
device doesn't seem to be fully supported in 4.7-REL. The adapter itself
is, but I always get an error message about there being no supported PHY's
- which is interesting, because there are actually two MII phy's in the
ASIC.

Here is the kernel info:
pcn0: <AMD PCnet/Home HomePNA> port 0x1c00-0x1c1f mem
0x41200000-0x4120001f irq 9 at device 5.0 on pci0
pcn0: Ethernet address: 00:01:fa:ff:ac:57
pcn0: MII without any PHY!
device_probe_and_attach: pcn0 attach returned 6

I have configured my kernel thusly:
# PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
# NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these
NICs!
device          miibus0         # MII bus support
device          miibus
device          xl              # 3Com 3c905c support
device          pcn             # AMD PCnet32/PCI support

# Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to allocate.
pseudo-device   loop            # Network loopback
pseudo-device   ether           # Ethernet support
pseudo-device   tun             # Packet tunnel.
pseudo-device   pty             # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
pseudo-device   md              # Memory "disks"
#pseudo-device  gif             # IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
#pseudo-device  faith   1       # IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)

# The `bpf' pseudo-device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
pseudo-device   bpf             #Berkeley packet filter

# USB support
device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
device          ugen            # Generic
device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
device          ukbd            # Keyboard
device          ulpt            # Printer
device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage
device          ums             # Mouse
# USB Ethernet, requires mii
device          aue             # ADMtek USB ethernet
device          cue             # CATC USB ethernet
device          kue             # Kawasaki LSI USB ethernet

(note - I only included the network and USB sections for brevity)

the xl driver was included for development builds - as my development PC
has a 3Com nic in it (just makes things easier)

Does anyone know if this is on the bug-board, or fixed in the next
release? I ask only because I can't replace it - it is built into the
Compaq IA-1's with ethernet. Presently, I am working around the issue with
a USB NIC, but performance is far from optimal.

Thanks,
Seth Henry