IPFW NATD access www server by name from the LAN side ?

Jonathan Chen jonc at chen.org.nz
Sat Mar 29 21:47:56 PST 2003

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 03:11:09PM -0800, jdroflet at canada.com wrote:

[...]
> > > How can I redirect traffic to the WWW server from the LAN side ?
> > > Thanks, Jay.
> >
> > This is in the howto I followed (but I don't remember how)... there's
> > about 5 good ones that can be found via google.
> > Basically, you need to add a rdr rule to natd, if I remember correctly.
> Thanks, I've spent some time google(ing) but haven't hit anything, if
> anyone has some links it would be most appreciated.

The most common solution is to run an internal DNS (which everyone on
the inside uses) which maps the name to the internal address. If you run
an authoritative DNS for your domain, the DNS which serves outside queries
need to be separate from the one that handles internal queries.
Alternatively, you can use BIND9's views feature to do the same thing
as these 2 DNS servers.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc at chen.org.nz>