Backup Tar

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sat Jun 28 05:48:08 PDT 2003

DanB wrote:
> If I  tar my  files on freebsd box then FTP them to a window 98 box can
> I use that file to reinstall on a new Freebsd box?

You're a little vague ...

But as long as you do the FTP transfer in binary mode you'll be able to
unpack the tar archive again.  If you properly tarred up everything
you need, you should be able to restore the system.
"reinstalling" is a slightly different matter, as you'll have to first
create the proper partitions, newfs the filesystems and install boot
blocks.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies