Difference between ipf/ipfw and ipnat/natd

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Thu Jun 26 03:31:41 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 11:03:50AM +0200, Andreas Dahlén wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'm going to install FreeBSD 4.8 as a firewall/gateway for my homenetwork.
>
> I've seen that there are two implementations of firewalls in FreeBSD;
> ipf and ipfw and fot NAT ipnat/natd.
>
> As I understand ipf and ipnat works together and ipfw and natd. Is that
> correct?

Correct.

> Which one of them should I use?

Whichever one strikes your fancy.  It doesn't really matter.  They both
do the same job, and both do it fairly well.

> Is there some major differences between them?

Yes and no.  There are of course many differences (the implementation
is completely different, the configuration files are completely
different) but for an ordinary user who is not familiar with either the
differences are not very important.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson