yppasswd NIS problem with Freebsd client and Solaris NIS server

Justin Burdine burdine at oakland.edu
Wed Jun 25 11:50:04 PDT 2003

Anyone else had this problem?

All of my Freebsd boxes 4.6-4.8 connect to my Solaris 8 NIS servers with
out any troubles.  They are able to authenticate and get all the maps
that they need in order to operate.  However, I have never been able to
change my NIS password from them.  Eventhough this works from all of my
Solaris 8 NIS clients.  I have changed the default passwd_format to des
and ran cap_mkdb.

I did run across this posting:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=bin/53721

but it doesn't seem to effect 4.x... or does it?

rc.conf looks like:
nisdomainname="secs.oakland.edu"
nis_client_enable="YES"

followed the installation instructions found:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-nis.html

anyone have any hits or tips?

Thanks,
Justin