how much space for /

Jonathan Arnold jdarnold at buddydog.org
Tue Jun 24 05:43:58 PDT 2003

> When i installed freebsd-5.1, i stayed close to the recommended
 > partition sizes in the handbook. The faq. said 100 megabytes would usually be

You might consider Greg Lehey "new" suggestion in the latest (4th) edition
of "The Complete FreeBSD" book (a must have book, in my opinion). In there,
he suggests having just three file systems:

* 4 GB for the root file system, including /usr and /var

* 512 MB swap space

* the rest of the disk for /home, or at least as big as can be easily
backed up

Seems like a good idea to me.

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold at buddydog.org)
Daemon Dancing in the Dark, a FreeBSD blog: