Abit IT-7 motherboard

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Sat Jun 21 20:37:58 PDT 2003

On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 23:04:52 -0500, Vulpes Velox <kitbsdlists at HotPOP.com>
wrote:

> http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.8R/hardware-i386.html
> http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html
>
> There is info on what hardware is supported and a list of various
> programs that exist in the portstree.
>
>> From my experience FreeBSD is far simpler to get up and running than
>> windows is.
> It is much quicker to install than windows is, too.
>
> On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 18:10:15 -0400
> Gilligan <dsnell at nycap.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> I am a complete newbie when it comes to FreeBSD and I am interested in
>> running it getting so I can't afford Windows pgms). I looked on the
>> FreeBSD web site but I cannot find any info on if I can run it.
>> (Windows requires the drivers (Highpoint 374) for the ide drives) Also
>> if I will be able to use my HP DVD-R/W drive. (I just want to be able to
>> use it as a CD-RW).
>> Help!
>>
>> Thanks
>> Doug

Even if you don't see your hardware listed, why not make a partition
("slice" in FreeBSD parlance) and try to install it?  If something doesn't
work, well, you haven't lost any money.  At that point you might try Linux
(Gentoo, while not necessarily the easiest distro to install, is probably
the one most similar to some aspects of FreeBSD), because the larger Linux
user base tends to result in quicker availability of drivers.

Jud