Sendmail recompile fails, help

mdohm at pacifier.com mdohm at pacifier.com
Fri Jun 20 22:40:05 PDT 2003

I'm attempting to complete the addition of SALS authentication to sendmail
as described here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/smtp-auth.html

I have completed most of the tasks, but when I run "make install restart"
make outputs this error:
----------------
su-2.05b# make install restart
install -c -m  slaxlan.org.cf /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
install: invalid file mode: slaxlan.org.cf
*** Error code 64

Stop in /etc/mail.
---------------
File mode seems to imply permissions to me, but the perms for the
slaxlan.org.cf file match the sendmail.cf file (which have never been
changed, I think).

I'm wondering what I can do to fix this and if it's related to
my inability to send mail through prompt (via mail or pine) unless in su.
Unless I set /var/spool/mqueue and /var/spool/clientmqueue to 777...
This is what outputs when I attempt to send a message at anything other
than 777:
-------------------
 collect: Cannot write ./dfh5KHcdt5022071 (bfcommit, uid=1000, gid=1001):
Permission denied
queueup: cannot create queue temp file ./tfh5KHcdt5022071, uid=1000:
Permission denied

Here are what they look like in for perms (it works right now, but I don't
want to keep 777 perms, you can understand):
---
su-2.05b# ls -l /var/spool/ | grep que
drwxrwxrwx  3 smmsp  smmsp   512 Jun 19 11:14 clientmqueue
drwxrwxrwx  2 root   daemon  512 Jun 20 09:18 mqueue
---

Help me out guys, thx.