getting ordb.org to stop spam with sendmail

Ruben de Groot mail23 at bzerk.org
Tue Jun 17 12:43:22 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jun 17, 2003 at 12:10:29PM -0400, David Banning typed:

> > > I am using sendmail 8.12.9/8.12.6
> >                              ^^^^^^
> > > I of course recompiled the .mc files, and restarted sendmail.
> >
> > I don't think your sendmail.cf got updated, or you would now be running
> > sendmail 8.12.9/8.12.9
>
> yes, it did - I looked in the sendmail.cf file just to confirm that
> the entries were there;
>
> # DNS based IP address spam list relays.ordb.org
> R$*                     $: $&{client_addr}
> R$-.$-.$-.$-            $: <?> $(dnsbl $4.$3.$2.$1.relays.ordb.org. $: OK $)
> R<?>OK                  $: OKSOFAR
> R<?>$+<TMP>             $: TMPOK
> R<?>$+                  $#error $@ 5.7.1 $:  "550 Email rejected due to sending
> server misconfiguration - see http://www.ordb.org/faq/\#why_rejected"

Strange. Recompiling the sendmail.cf should give it the same version number
as your currently installed sendmail binary, 8.12.9 in stead of 8.12.6. Are you
using the stock base system sendmail? Are you absolutely sure the sendmail.cf file
you compiled is also the one sendmail uses?

-Ruben