Sendmail Authentication Problem

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Jun 15 23:03:10 PDT 2003

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 08:40:04PM -0500, Gary K Stinnett Jr wrote:
> I have been trying to get smtp authentication to work with Sendmail
>
> I have looked over and tried many times to install sasl and go through
> the directions on the following freebsd web page
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/smtp-auth.html
>
> When I get to the point of "make" sendmail I get the following error
>
> At the end of the make process I get
>
> 	CC: /usr/src/lib/libsmutil/libsmutil.a: No such file or
> directory
> 	CC: /usr/src/lib/libsm.a: No such file or directory
> 	*** Error code 1

You're talking about doing the compilation step as shown in section
20.9.4 of the handbook:

  4 Recompile sendmail by executing the following commands:

    # cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail
    # make cleandir
    # make obj
    # make
    # make install

    The compile of sendmail should not have any problems if /usr/src
    has not been changed extensively and the shared libraries it needs
    are available.

There's an implicit assumption there that you've previously done a
'make buildworld' and you have a complete set of object files and so
forth under /usr/obj.  As it is, your compilation fails because there
are some other parts of the source that need to be compiled before you
can do this part.

> This is a fresh install of FreeBSD 4.8.  I have not changed anything
> except installing apache, qpopper, and webmin.

In your case, instead of compiling as shown in that section, try
rebuilding the whole world.  That's going to be time consuming but
it's the easiest and most certain way to get a successful result:

    # cd /usr/src
    # make buildworld
    # cd /usr/src/usr.sbin/sendmail
    # make install

Carry out all of the other steps as shown in the Handbook.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way