Booting takes too long. Why? (/ was not properly dismounted)

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Sat Jun 14 13:05:01 PDT 2003

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 12:28:23 +0530, Shantanu Mahajan
<freebsd at dhumketu.cjb.net> wrote:

> | I shutdown using the shutdown -h now command
> | or reboot using reboot now
>
> 	did you try 'halt'?
> 	what msg. do you see after the shutdown is complete?

>From the halt(8) man page:

"Normally, the shutdown(8) utility is used when the system needs to be
halted or restarted, giving users advance warning of their impending doom
and cleanly terminating specific programs."

>From the shutdown(8) man page:

"The following options are available:
     -h      The system is halted at the specified time."

So Rohit is in fact using 'halt' in the way it is normally invoked, as an
option to 'shutdown.'  Is there a reason that 'halt' without 'shutdown'
would be preferable in this case?

Jud