4.8 to 5.0

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Jun 12 07:48:38 PDT 2003

Chris wrote:
> [...]

Check the archives.  There was recently a thread on -CURRENT about 5 not building
on a 4.x system.  I believe the utilities in 4 (gcc et al) are too old to build
5's source tree, but check the archives for the details.

For my part, I did a clean wipe of the drive and reinstalled.  It was an unholy
headache and I regret it, but now that I've got 5.1 running I'm pretty happy.

Make sure to get 5.1, at least.  A lot of issues have been resolved in 5.1 that
existed in 5, and don't cvsup to HEAD on any machine that you need to work.
The developers have been nice enough to put together a RELENG_5_1 branch that
is relatively safe to follow.

And subscribe to the -CURRENT mailing list as long as you're using it.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies