mplayer

clayton rollins crollins666 at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 10 15:17:09 PDT 2003

On 10 Jun 2003 14:10:40 Adam <blueeskimo at gmx.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 13:39, Dick Hoogendijk wrote:
> > I thought I'd install the mplayer port plus the mplayer-skins and have
> > fun playing my DivX or Quicktime movies. ** wrong **
> >
> > Running a GENERICS kernel mplayer complains about having to recompile
> > the kernel w/ some extra options. I can't seem to find these
> > instructions in the dox though, so I'll reluctantly ask you:
> >
> > What do I need to succesfully run mplayer. I mean: which port(s) and
> > which kernel options need be set?
> >
> > An info page on FreeBSD and mplayer is also welcome ;-)
>
>For starters, you'll need to compile in support for your soundcard. The
>handbook goes over this in great detail:
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html
>
>Beyond that, as long as your video driver is working OK, you should be
>able to use mplayer just fine.
>
>Please note the differences between 4.x and 5.x in setting up sound
>devices. Be sure you are reading the correct instructions for setting it
>up in 4.x (more steps).

In addition you'll probably need to add:
options	USER_LDT
to your kernel. (unless you're running current, or have done it already.)

Before compiling mplayer you should read the makefile to check out the
various options. (You won't get a gui by default...) You should also go over
the documentation at http://www.MPlayerHQ.hu/homepage/design6/news.html.
(The links are currently down, though... You probably won't need them to
install, just make sure you change the ~/.mplayer/config file to reflect the
gui, 'skin,' you want to use.)

Best of luck,
Clayton

PS. you'll need to get the codecs too, if you haven't already. I have gotten
them from the mplayer site before, though I see they exist in ports too. (I
think the links on the mplayer site are screwy enough that I can't find the
download page right now...)