/dev/tty keeps changing permissions..?

Thomas Park tpark at drivespeed.com
Sat Jun 7 22:21:14 PDT 2003

Hello,

I've been having an interesting problem with my FreeBSD 5.0 install -
for whatever reason, the permissions and ownership on /dev/tty keep on
being automatically changed in such a way that it becomes impossible for
most users of the system to initiate outbound SSH sessions.

I'm not sure what causes this, but after a few days of running, I'll
notice that the system has set up /dev/tty thusly:

crw--w----  1 tpark  tty    5,   1 Jun  7 22:02 /dev/tty

Which, of course, means that any user not myself or in group "tty" will
have problems.

On my previous FreeBSD 4.6 install, /dev/tty was owned by "root:wheel"
and had permissions 0666 set.

I tried setting /dev/tty to this configuration on the new system, which
makes ssh and other tools work fine.  The catch: I found that the system
will randomly revert /dev/tty to the oddball individual user ownership
and mode 0620 - I haven't been able to figure out what causes this or
when this happens.

If anybody has any advice on how to prevent the system from doing this,
I would be much relieved!

Thanks,
thomas park

Thomas Park | driveSPEED Designs, LLC