Configuring a SoundBlaster card under 5.0

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Fri Jun 6 18:22:00 PDT 2003

On Fri, 6 Jun 2003 18:35:23 -0600, Ken Thompson <spooky at cableone.net>
wrote:

> Hello all,
> I'm totally new to FreeBSD and find myself lost when it comes to commands
> and config files. I do have "The Complete FreeBSD" 3rd edition and it has
> been a big help. My main problem right now is that I can't seem to get my
> SB Vibra16 Sound card to work at all. Can some kind soul take me by the
> hand and lead me to a good HOWTO or other resource that will help me
> understand configuring FreeBSD? I'm pretty good in Linux but this is just
> different enough to throw me for a loop.
> Basic hardware is:
> AMD K6 233
> 256 MB PCI133 RAM
> Riva 128 (sgs Thomason) vid
> RealTec based NIC
> Creative SoundBlaster Vibra16

Assuming it is your only sound card (no other audio cards and no onboard
sound):

1. Add the proper "device" line to your kernel - I imagine it will be

device pcm

or

device sbc

(To find out which, use Google Groups and include search terms "freebsd,"
"pcm," "sbc," and "vibra16.")

2. Recompile kernel.  (Your reference plus the Handbook [online] for
updates should be enough to tell you how to do this.)

3. Reboot.  (There may be a reference to changing to the /dev directory and
running MAKEDEV in the 3rd edition of "The Complete FreeBSD" or something
else you've read, but the function of creating proper devices is done
automagically by devfs in FreeBSD 5.0.)

That should do it - let us know how you fare.

Jud