unable to transfer install error

Paul Lambert eb30750 at HotPOP.com
Fri Jun 6 10:51:31 PDT 2003

I have previously installed FreeBSD 4.2 successfully and am attempting to
install 5.0 with a AMD Duron processor on a PCCHIPS M810L MOBO.

The disk has been partitioned into 4 parts all NTFS.  I have FreeBSD CDs 1
and 2.  I boot successfully, delete one of the NTFS partitions and the
create a FreeBSD partition (bootable, 165) and then create swap and root
(/) slices.  I also install the Boot Mngr so I can boot from the different
partitions.  I finally select to install from CD.  This all goes well.

Once the install begins, I do see a message that states "All files written
successfully", which I believe is the boot mngr install
status.  Immediately after this I start getting an "unable to transfer"
errors which repeats for each of the following"  base distribution, doc
distribution, manpages, dict distribution, crypto and packages/INDEX.  The
installer exists with errors.

Upon rebooting, I see the 4 partitions although the NTFS ones are labeled
"??" instead of NTFS.  The FreeBSD partition is there as well.  The system
will boot the windows partition okay but there is no boot software on the
FreeBSD partition.

The fact that I can boot the kernel from CD, write to the boot block, etc.
tells me that the hardware is all compatible.  The FreeBSD partition was
formatted as an NTFS partition the subsequently deleted and created as a
FreeBSD partition.  I do get this warning that states "using existing root
partition" that assumes that the appropriate driver entries are in /dev.  I
don't think this is true since I am performing a new install.  The
partition needs to be reformatted and then a complete new install.  What is
your advice?

Paul