Can I synchronise local time with some NTP-server?

Alex de Kruijff akruijff at dds.nl
Thu Jun 5 13:31:04 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 02:27:13PM -0400, Tom Limoncelli wrote:
> On Thursday, June 5, 2003, at 01:11  PM, Alex de Kruijff wrote:
>
> >The man page are not meant for this, there scope is limmited to the
> >command. Books and article are. In fact the FreeBSD handbook have a
> >section about this.
>
> Yet of all the email on this topic, nobody pointed out this most
> excellent article.

I was wondering about that to. Its not that hard to find, since it
has a link on the main page of the website.

> Of the many problems with the man page system, this is one that has
> always been a torn in my side.  I feel that man pages should have a
> "getting started" section, even if it only points to articles like the
> one you suggested.

There is usaly a refereal section at the end of the manual. It is a idee
to included a URL there. This is not possible for non-systems (aka
comming from the ports).

> >http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-
> >ntp.html
>

> >P.S. Its a good article. :-)
>
> I agree.  It's a shame that the first place that people turn for help
> (the man pages) doesn't refer to it.

I meant you article here. (This may not have bin clear). I find the
link is also good.

I don't agree on the the shame part. I find the documentation of
FreeBSD excelent. The startging point, realy, is the website
(www.freebsd.org) and from there one can come to lots of mailinglist,
newsgroups, article, and the handbook. I use FreeBSD for these reasons.
The handbook is the starting your looking for.

I feel that in this case the starter of this tread knew what he wanted to
do, but not knew what he needed. I feel that he never would have read
one the manuals, because of that. This mailinglist is, amoung other
questions, for questions like his.

Alex